Food Security Bill will not help Cong in elections: BJP
Chandigarh: Attacking the Congress-led UPA government for its "failure" on all fronts, BJP today said the passage of Food Security Bill will not bring electoral gain to the ruling party in the next Lok Sabha polls.
"Congress will not be able to take advantage of anything because people are not ready to accept a Congress-led government for another five years. At macro as well as micro level, every component of the society is against the policies of the Congress," BJP National General Secretary P Muralidhar Rao told reporters here today.
On Food Security Bill which was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday, he said the government would have to ensure foodgrain availability, enough storage capacity and effective public distribution system for its implementation.
"Congress has brought the Food Security Bill without any preparation like foodgrain availability... If at anytime, the government resorts to foodgrain import in the wake of its deficiency, the prices of foodgrain commodities in international market will rise in a big way," he said.
The UPA government had "nothing to offer" to the people as it had "failed" to address various issues including economic slowdown, corruption, inflation, rupee depreciation, he said.
Criticising the UPA government for "not being able" to arrest the "free-fall" of rupee against US dollar despite taking several steps, Rao said Indian currency had not faced the kind of depreciation in the recent past as it was facing now.
Dubbing Narendra Modi as the "game changer" for BJP, Rao said in the past several decades no Chief Minister had gained such popularity and acceptability among people.
"Congress has no leader to project and it has no confidence (in itself) that is why they are attacking Modi every time," he said.
Stating that the BJP was the only party capable of offering a stable government at the Centre, Rao said the party was ready to face elections whenever they were announced.
Asked about the prolonged absence of BJP MP Navjot Sidhu from Amritsar constituency, Rao while evading a direct reply said, "Sidhu is a very important leader of the party and is active on organisational front and attends meetings of office bearers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'