Govt to keep watch on tour operators in Andamans
New Delhi: In the backdrop of fresh video of
exploitation of Jarawa tribes in the Andamans, government
on Monday said it has decided to keep a close watch on tour
operators many of whom are believed to be involved in such
malpractices so that action can be taken against the guilty.
Holding that the tour operators are also equally
responsible for exploitation of Jarawa tribes, Tribal Affairs
Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo today said those involved in
the crime would be punished for their role in the "inhuman"
activity in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The minister said he would speak to Tourism Minister
Subodh Kant Sahay "to rein in" the tour operators there.
The government`s decision to take action against the
tour operators came after a fresh video surfaced showing
alleged "human safaris" involving Jarawas.
The tribals were allegedly made to dance in return for
food by foreign tourists and the tour operators in the footage
which also showed a cop and an Armyman watching the show.
"I will be talking to my colleague in Tourism Ministry.
Tour operators are also culprits in the crime. That is quite
an unethical practice. Tourism is banned in the area. If any
tour operator is found behind the crime, he would also be
booked," Deo told reporters here.
The minister, who has already taken up the matter with
the administration of Andamans, said "the matter is already
under inquiry" and said action would be taken against the
guilty "whether the tape is old or new".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves