Govts at loggerheads over shifting of Finance Secy
Puducherry: A piquant situation has arisen here with the Puducherry government and the Union Home Ministry at loggerheads over shifting of Finance Secretary of the Union Territory.
The Union Home Ministry has declared null and void the Union Territory administration`s decision to shift Raajiv Yadhuvanshi who was holding the post of Secretary to the Finance and Planning departments, official sources said.
He was replaced by WVR Murthy, who continues to hold the Department of Tourism Secretary post also. Even as Yadhuvanshi has been shifted as Secretary of Industries and Commerce.
The All India NR Congress government of N Rangasamy issued an order in this regard through the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms on January 10 and blamed Yadhuvanshi for the delay in implementing the government schemes.
Taken by surprise over the development, Yadhuvanshi came out with a circular on January 11 stating that the order of Puducherry government shunting him out of Finance and Planning departments had been held as "null and void" by the Union Home Ministry and that he had been directed to function as Secretary to Finance and Planning till further orders.
The territorial government, however, has taken the stand that its order appointing Murthy as the Finance Secretary prevails, with the unseemly controversy raising eyebrows among various departments and other stakeholders.
Official circles claimed that the Union Home Ministry can only place at the disposal of the IAS officers from out of the AGMU cadre to Puducherry government. The allocation of subjects is within the domain of the territorial government and that there was no scope for the Home Ministry to effect allocation or shuffling of departments among the officials.
Murthy has started dealing with the files relating to Finance Department armed with the order of the Puducherry government assigning him the new post.
Opposition AIADMK leader A Anbalagan has charged the Chief Minister with confounding the situation without clarifying and clearing the air. He wanted to know whether Puducherry administration was bound by the Home Ministry`s directives and can act differently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH