Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to April 29
Puducherry: A local court on Tuesday adjourned to April 29 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters that he had submitted in writing his arguments on the action to be taken against the approver Ravi Subramanian, who turned hostile during examination in the local court on January 21, 2010, in keeping with the provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code.
He said the defence counsel appearing for Ravi Subramanian was asked by the court during hearing today to submit in writing his arguments in reply to the contention of the prosecution.
Sankararaman, the manager of the Varadarajaperumal temple at Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu by an order of the Supreme court on a petition Jayendra had filed before it on October 25, 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, his son and daughter, were examined in the trial and 81 of them turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened