Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to April 29
Puducherry: A local court on Tuesday adjourned to April 29 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters that he had submitted in writing his arguments on the action to be taken against the approver Ravi Subramanian, who turned hostile during examination in the local court on January 21, 2010, in keeping with the provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code.
He said the defence counsel appearing for Ravi Subramanian was asked by the court during hearing today to submit in writing his arguments in reply to the contention of the prosecution.
Sankararaman, the manager of the Varadarajaperumal temple at Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu by an order of the Supreme court on a petition Jayendra had filed before it on October 25, 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, his son and daughter, were examined in the trial and 81 of them turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir