Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to Tuesday
Puducherry: A local court Monday adjourned to tomorrow the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the proceedings to tomorrow after the defence counsel for six of the total 24 accused completed the arguments.
The arguments by the defence counsel for the 22 accused, including the two seers have been completed.
Sankararaman, Manager in the Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram (Tamil Nadu) was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses including Padma, widow Sankararaman and their two children have been examined and cross examined in the case since the hearing began in 2009 and lasted till 2011.
Eighty one of the prosecution witnesses turned hostile during the trial.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry court from Kancheepuram on a directive by the Supreme court on a petition by the seers in October 2005.
When the hearing came up before the local court today only eighteen of the 24 accused were present and the absentees included the two seers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened