Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to Tuesday
Puducherry: A local court Monday adjourned to tomorrow the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the proceedings to tomorrow after the defence counsel for six of the total 24 accused completed the arguments.
The arguments by the defence counsel for the 22 accused, including the two seers have been completed.
Sankararaman, Manager in the Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram (Tamil Nadu) was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses including Padma, widow Sankararaman and their two children have been examined and cross examined in the case since the hearing began in 2009 and lasted till 2011.
Eighty one of the prosecution witnesses turned hostile during the trial.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry court from Kancheepuram on a directive by the Supreme court on a petition by the seers in October 2005.
When the hearing came up before the local court today only eighteen of the 24 accused were present and the absentees included the two seers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery