Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned to Tuesday
Puducherry: A local court Monday adjourned to tomorrow the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the proceedings to tomorrow after the defence counsel for six of the total 24 accused completed the arguments.
The arguments by the defence counsel for the 22 accused, including the two seers have been completed.
Sankararaman, Manager in the Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram (Tamil Nadu) was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses including Padma, widow Sankararaman and their two children have been examined and cross examined in the case since the hearing began in 2009 and lasted till 2011.
Eighty one of the prosecution witnesses turned hostile during the trial.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry court from Kancheepuram on a directive by the Supreme court on a petition by the seers in October 2005.
When the hearing came up before the local court today only eighteen of the 24 accused were present and the absentees included the two seers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam