Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned
Puducherry: A local court on Friday adjourned to October 3 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters outside the court that the petition filed by Padma, widow of Sankararaman, in the Madras High court seeking transfer of the trial from here to the High Court was pending disposal.
All other petitions she had filed in the High Court were also required to be disposed and hence the hearing was adjourned till October 3.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan directed that all the 24 accused including the two seers should be compulsorily present at the next hearing.
Only 13 accused were present in the court today and the absentees included the two seers.
Defence counsel who presented petitions assigning reason for the absence of the two seers informed the court that as the two pontiffs were currently observing "Chaturmasya Vrida" (performing poojas and other rituals between July 3 and September 30) they could not be present at the hearing when it was resumed today.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu, was murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
A total of 189 witnesses including Padma, her son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2010 and 2011. Eighty-three of the witnesses turned hostile during the trial, shifted here by the Supreme Court on a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
The trial was shifted from Chengalpet court (Tamil Nadu) to Puducherry following an order by Supreme Court on a writ petition the Kanchi seer in October 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing