Hearing in Sankararaman murder case adjourned
Puducherry: A local court on Friday adjourned to October 3 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters outside the court that the petition filed by Padma, widow of Sankararaman, in the Madras High court seeking transfer of the trial from here to the High Court was pending disposal.
All other petitions she had filed in the High Court were also required to be disposed and hence the hearing was adjourned till October 3.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan directed that all the 24 accused including the two seers should be compulsorily present at the next hearing.
Only 13 accused were present in the court today and the absentees included the two seers.
Defence counsel who presented petitions assigning reason for the absence of the two seers informed the court that as the two pontiffs were currently observing "Chaturmasya Vrida" (performing poojas and other rituals between July 3 and September 30) they could not be present at the hearing when it was resumed today.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu, was murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
A total of 189 witnesses including Padma, her son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2010 and 2011. Eighty-three of the witnesses turned hostile during the trial, shifted here by the Supreme Court on a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
The trial was shifted from Chengalpet court (Tamil Nadu) to Puducherry following an order by Supreme Court on a writ petition the Kanchi seer in October 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?