Inspector stabbed to death, constable serious
Chandigarh: A police inspector died after being stabbed while a constable was seriously injured when a youth allegedly attacked them after he and his woman accomplice were questioned for their suspicious movement in the wee hours here on Saturday.
Inspector Sucha Singh, who sustained multiple stab injuries, succumbed at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) this morning while another cop Jatinder Singh, a police constable, was still in the hospital after being critically injured in the attack, police said.
The incident took place at around 3.00 AM when the cops, who were on night patrol, questioned the couple for roaming near the district court complex here, police said, adding that the policemen decided to take them to a nearby police station after they were unable to give satisfactory answers.
It was then the youth attacked the inspector and the other cop with a sharp-edged weapon, leaving them profusely bleeding on the road, they said.
The couple managed to escape from the scene of crime in the police vehicle, they added.
Meanwhile, a senior police official said they were treating a suspended cop of Chandigarh Police Basant Kumar alias Bunty as a possible suspect in the case, who is on run and was allegedly involved in a murder case.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) under a DSP rank officer had been constituted to investigate the case, they said, adding that a case was registered and a hunt launched to arrest the suspects.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India