Inspector stabbed to death, constable serious
Chandigarh: A police inspector died after being stabbed while a constable was seriously injured when a youth allegedly attacked them after he and his woman accomplice were questioned for their suspicious movement in the wee hours here on Saturday.
Inspector Sucha Singh, who sustained multiple stab injuries, succumbed at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) this morning while another cop Jatinder Singh, a police constable, was still in the hospital after being critically injured in the attack, police said.
The incident took place at around 3.00 AM when the cops, who were on night patrol, questioned the couple for roaming near the district court complex here, police said, adding that the policemen decided to take them to a nearby police station after they were unable to give satisfactory answers.
It was then the youth attacked the inspector and the other cop with a sharp-edged weapon, leaving them profusely bleeding on the road, they said.
The couple managed to escape from the scene of crime in the police vehicle, they added.
Meanwhile, a senior police official said they were treating a suspended cop of Chandigarh Police Basant Kumar alias Bunty as a possible suspect in the case, who is on run and was allegedly involved in a murder case.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) under a DSP rank officer had been constituted to investigate the case, they said, adding that a case was registered and a hunt launched to arrest the suspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites