Iqbal Singh leads Union territory to pay homage to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh led the Union Territory of Puducherry in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 65th death anniversary on Wednesday.
Iqbal Singh accompanied by Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Ministers, Speaker V Sabapathy, legislators and officials, paid floral tributes at the Mahatma`s statue on beach road.
A team of teachers and students of Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam (a multi fine arts institute) of government presented patriotic songs and hymns dearest to the Mahatma.
Silence was observed for a couple of minutes by all those present at the venue. Chief Secretary M Sathiavathy and Secretaries of various departments were among those present.
Puducherry PCC president A V Subramanian, Leader of the opposition in the Assembly V Vaithilingam and PCC office bearers paid glowing tributes to Gandhi at a function at the PCC office.
Silence was observed by all those present at the observance of the Memorial Day of the Mahatma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray