Iqbal Singh leads Union territory to pay homage to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh led the Union Territory of Puducherry in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 65th death anniversary on Wednesday.
Iqbal Singh accompanied by Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Ministers, Speaker V Sabapathy, legislators and officials, paid floral tributes at the Mahatma`s statue on beach road.
A team of teachers and students of Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam (a multi fine arts institute) of government presented patriotic songs and hymns dearest to the Mahatma.
Silence was observed for a couple of minutes by all those present at the venue. Chief Secretary M Sathiavathy and Secretaries of various departments were among those present.
Puducherry PCC president A V Subramanian, Leader of the opposition in the Assembly V Vaithilingam and PCC office bearers paid glowing tributes to Gandhi at a function at the PCC office.
Silence was observed by all those present at the observance of the Memorial Day of the Mahatma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars