Iqbal Singh leads Union territory to pay homage to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh led the Union Territory of Puducherry in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 65th death anniversary on Wednesday.
Iqbal Singh accompanied by Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Ministers, Speaker V Sabapathy, legislators and officials, paid floral tributes at the Mahatma`s statue on beach road.
A team of teachers and students of Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam (a multi fine arts institute) of government presented patriotic songs and hymns dearest to the Mahatma.
Silence was observed for a couple of minutes by all those present at the venue. Chief Secretary M Sathiavathy and Secretaries of various departments were among those present.
Puducherry PCC president A V Subramanian, Leader of the opposition in the Assembly V Vaithilingam and PCC office bearers paid glowing tributes to Gandhi at a function at the PCC office.
Silence was observed by all those present at the observance of the Memorial Day of the Mahatma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves