Iqbal Singh leads Union territory to pay homage to Gandhi
Puducherry: Lt Governor Iqbal Singh led the Union Territory of Puducherry in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 65th death anniversary on Wednesday.
Iqbal Singh accompanied by Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Ministers, Speaker V Sabapathy, legislators and officials, paid floral tributes at the Mahatma`s statue on beach road.
A team of teachers and students of Bharathiar Palkalaikoodam (a multi fine arts institute) of government presented patriotic songs and hymns dearest to the Mahatma.
Silence was observed for a couple of minutes by all those present at the venue. Chief Secretary M Sathiavathy and Secretaries of various departments were among those present.
Puducherry PCC president A V Subramanian, Leader of the opposition in the Assembly V Vaithilingam and PCC office bearers paid glowing tributes to Gandhi at a function at the PCC office.
Silence was observed by all those present at the observance of the Memorial Day of the Mahatma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack