JD(U) seeks Rs 10 lakhs as relief for fishermen
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of Janata Dal(U) on Sunday asked the territorial administration to sanction Rs 10 lakh as relief to the fishermen of Karaikal region injured in an alleged firing by Sri Lankan Navy last week.
President of the party R Arumugham said in a release here today the Centre should also initiate steps to ensure that Indian fishermen were safe while fishing.
He said that the firing on the fishermen from Karaikal last week by the Sri Lankan naval forces had resulted in one of them fisherman sustaining injuries on his back and was since hospitalised in Chennai.
JD(U) also supported the general strike called by DMK-backed TESO on March 12 to urge the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat