JD(U) seeks Rs 10 lakhs as relief for fishermen
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of Janata Dal(U) on Sunday asked the territorial administration to sanction Rs 10 lakh as relief to the fishermen of Karaikal region injured in an alleged firing by Sri Lankan Navy last week.
President of the party R Arumugham said in a release here today the Centre should also initiate steps to ensure that Indian fishermen were safe while fishing.
He said that the firing on the fishermen from Karaikal last week by the Sri Lankan naval forces had resulted in one of them fisherman sustaining injuries on his back and was since hospitalised in Chennai.
JD(U) also supported the general strike called by DMK-backed TESO on March 12 to urge the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event