JD(U) seeks Rs 10 lakhs as relief for fishermen
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of Janata Dal(U) on Sunday asked the territorial administration to sanction Rs 10 lakh as relief to the fishermen of Karaikal region injured in an alleged firing by Sri Lankan Navy last week.
President of the party R Arumugham said in a release here today the Centre should also initiate steps to ensure that Indian fishermen were safe while fishing.
He said that the firing on the fishermen from Karaikal last week by the Sri Lankan naval forces had resulted in one of them fisherman sustaining injuries on his back and was since hospitalised in Chennai.
JD(U) also supported the general strike called by DMK-backed TESO on March 12 to urge the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore