JD(U) seeks Rs 10 lakhs as relief for fishermen
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of Janata Dal(U) on Sunday asked the territorial administration to sanction Rs 10 lakh as relief to the fishermen of Karaikal region injured in an alleged firing by Sri Lankan Navy last week.
President of the party R Arumugham said in a release here today the Centre should also initiate steps to ensure that Indian fishermen were safe while fishing.
He said that the firing on the fishermen from Karaikal last week by the Sri Lankan naval forces had resulted in one of them fisherman sustaining injuries on his back and was since hospitalised in Chennai.
JD(U) also supported the general strike called by DMK-backed TESO on March 12 to urge the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC meeting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference