Karaikal declared `drought hit`
Puducherry: Karaikal, an enclave of Puducherry in the Cauvery delta belt of Tamil Nadu, was today declared drought hit.
Lt Governor Iqbal Singh issued an order declaring the region drought hit in view of "deficit and uneven distribution of rainfall in the north east monsoon and also following inadequate receipt of Cauvery water," a release said.
The territorial administration has already announced relief to farmers hit by the dry spell and loss of crop cultivation, the release from the Special Secretary to Department of Revenue and Disaster Management S Sundaravadivel added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed