Kataria replaces Punjab`s Iqbal Singh as Puducherr
New Delhi: Former Punjab Congress President and ex-Rajya Sabha member Virendra Kataria was today appointed the new Lt Governor of Puducherry, replacing another former Congressman from the state Iqbal Singh, also an ex-RS MP.
Kataria (80) is expected to take over his new assignment in the next two-three days.
"I am grateful to UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the Prime Minister for appointing me as Lt Governor," Kataria told a news agency.
A member of the Students Congress founded in Lahore, Kataria migrated to Punjab and did his graduation from Jalandhar and obtained his law degree from Delhi.
Supported by former Lok Sabha Speaker Balram Jakhar, he was made a member of the Rajya Sabha from Punjab in 1992.
After the demise of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, Kataria was chosen by Narasimha Rao to quell the revolt against then Chief Minister Harcharan Singh Brar by making him President of the Punjab Congress.
He held the post for about a year. Earlier, he was also general secretary of the Punjab Congress.
Kataria hails from a political family as his elder brother was part of the freedom movement and was jailed in Lahore.
Appointed as lieutenant governor of Puducherry in July 2009, Iqbal Singh was embroiled in a land controversy in the Union Territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill