Law and order a major cause of concern in Puducherry in 2013
Puducherry: Law and order became a major issue in Puducherry in 2013 and often triggered a war of words between Chief Minister N Rangasamy and Union minister V Narayanasamy, who represents the Union territory in Lok Sabha.
Differences between the two leaders also came out in the open on the statehood issue. Rangasamy made several requests to the Centre that Puducherry be granted statehood.
Narayanasamy was of the opinion that persistent demands for statehood would be financially disadvantageous to the union territory as government would find it difficult to mobilise funds locally.
In the event of Puducherry becoming a state, it will be a struggle for the government to mobilise funds locally to meet 70 per cent of budgetary requirements as the Centre would meet only the remaining 30 per cent of the required portion in the budget, he once said.
He felt statehood with Special Category Status would be more advantageous to the union territory.
Narayanasamy was often critical of the law and order situation in Puducherry and even demanded Rangasamy`s resignation.
New Lt Governor Virendra Kataria also made critical observations about the law and order situation, which Rangasamy strongly objected to. Kataria, a former Rajya Sabha member, assumed office on July 10 succeeding Iqbal Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray