Lt Governor AK Singh assumes additional charge of Puducherry
Puducherry: Lt Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Lt Gen (Retd) A K Singh, given additional charge of Union Territory of Puducherry after the sacking of incumbent Virendra Kataria, today assumed office here.
Acting Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice Satish K Agnihotri sworn in Singh as Lt Governor of Puducherry and administered the oath of office at a function in Raj Nivas.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Speaker V Sabapathy, French Consul General Philippe Janvier Kamiyama, Ministers, MLAs and officials were among those present.
Talking to reporters, Singh promised that it would be his effort to work in unison with the Chief Minister, his council of Ministers and the Administration for the promotion of well being of the people of the Union Territory.
81-year-old Kataria, who was the 21st Lt Governor of the Union Territory, was sacked by the Central Government on July 11 and Singh given additional charge.
Kataria, who left here for Delhi this morning, has alleged his unceremonious ouster was plotted by AINRC Government because of his opposition to "wrongdoings" going on in the Union Territory.
He had charged that it was because of the Chief Minister and its Chief Secretary that he was removed.
Chief Secretary Chetan B Sanghi today termed the charges as `unfortunate`.
"There is a word in Telugu which will describe criticisms of Kataria against me appropriately. It is `duradhrishtam` which means unfortunate," he told PTI when asked at the swearing in function about the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users