Lt Governor AK Singh assumes additional charge of Puducherry
Puducherry: Lt Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Lt Gen (Retd) A K Singh, given additional charge of Union Territory of Puducherry after the sacking of incumbent Virendra Kataria, today assumed office here.
Acting Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice Satish K Agnihotri sworn in Singh as Lt Governor of Puducherry and administered the oath of office at a function in Raj Nivas.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Speaker V Sabapathy, French Consul General Philippe Janvier Kamiyama, Ministers, MLAs and officials were among those present.
Talking to reporters, Singh promised that it would be his effort to work in unison with the Chief Minister, his council of Ministers and the Administration for the promotion of well being of the people of the Union Territory.
81-year-old Kataria, who was the 21st Lt Governor of the Union Territory, was sacked by the Central Government on July 11 and Singh given additional charge.
Kataria, who left here for Delhi this morning, has alleged his unceremonious ouster was plotted by AINRC Government because of his opposition to "wrongdoings" going on in the Union Territory.
He had charged that it was because of the Chief Minister and its Chief Secretary that he was removed.
Chief Secretary Chetan B Sanghi today termed the charges as `unfortunate`.
"There is a word in Telugu which will describe criticisms of Kataria against me appropriately. It is `duradhrishtam` which means unfortunate," he told PTI when asked at the swearing in function about the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day