No decision yet on overcoat for girls: Puducherry
Puducherry: On the backfoot after its proposed dress code making overcoats mandatory for girl students in the union territory to prevent sexual crimes evoked outcry, the Puducherry government today said it would take a decision on the issue only after public feedback.
"It was only a suggestion and no decision was taken... We will not impose anything arbitrarily as the feedback for the proposal is important," Education Minister T Thiagarajan said, days after the prescribed dress code was dubbed as regressive.
The proposal would be placed before teachers, students, parents and leaders of public opinion to enlist their suggestions and views, Thiagarajan told a news agency.
The suggestion for overcoat was made by a principal of a government school at a meeting of heads of schools and education officials convened by him on January 5 to discuss academic improvement and student discipline, he said.
"I wish that the matter was not blown out of proportion," he said.
On the criticism of the move by different fora, he said, "No directive has been given as no decision has been taken on the matter."
Thiagarajan`s clarifications came even as protests against the proposal by students and others continued.
Students of a government polytechnic college here held a sit-in strike demanding that the move be dropped while workers of VCK staged a demonstration making a similar demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door