No decision yet on overcoat for girls: Puducherry
Puducherry: On the backfoot after its proposed dress code making overcoats mandatory for girl students in the union territory to prevent sexual crimes evoked outcry, the Puducherry government today said it would take a decision on the issue only after public feedback.
"It was only a suggestion and no decision was taken... We will not impose anything arbitrarily as the feedback for the proposal is important," Education Minister T Thiagarajan said, days after the prescribed dress code was dubbed as regressive.
The proposal would be placed before teachers, students, parents and leaders of public opinion to enlist their suggestions and views, Thiagarajan told a news agency.
The suggestion for overcoat was made by a principal of a government school at a meeting of heads of schools and education officials convened by him on January 5 to discuss academic improvement and student discipline, he said.
"I wish that the matter was not blown out of proportion," he said.
On the criticism of the move by different fora, he said, "No directive has been given as no decision has been taken on the matter."
Thiagarajan`s clarifications came even as protests against the proposal by students and others continued.
Students of a government polytechnic college here held a sit-in strike demanding that the move be dropped while workers of VCK staged a demonstration making a similar demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP