Operate more air services to Pondy: Kataria pleads to Ajit Singh
Puducherry: Lt Governor Virendra Kataria has urged Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh to introduce more air services from different parts of the country to Puducherry to develop the Union Territory as a tourist hub and also to promote industrial development.
A release from the office of Lt Governor said Kataria had last week met the minister in Delhi and brought to his notice the potential available here to promote air services.
Ajit Singh told him there was shortage of small aircraft to meet the demand, but assured Kataria that he would explore the feasibility of operating more flights to Puducherry from different parts of the country, including Chennai.
Puducherry now has flight service to Bangalore.
Kataria had also urged the Tamilnadu Governor to use his good offices and help the government expand the airport here by making available the required stretch of land falling within neighbouring Tamilnadu limits.
He had also written to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalilthaa in this regard, the release said.
During his Delhi visit, Kataria discussed issues relating to government owned AFT mill with Union Textiles Minister Dr Kavuri Sambasiva Rao after which it was decided to depute a high level official team from Textile Ministry for an on the spot assessment of the travails of the mill and evolve a package of measures to revitalise it.
The Lt Governor also met Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and sought the Ministry`s permission for sale of land belonging to the AFT mill purchased some years ago. The proceeds available after the sale would help the Puducherry Textiles Corporation run the mill to clear all its debts, including salaries, the release said.
The Home Minister assured Kataria that he would accord sanction for the proposal sent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Summer woes? Here are top 20 gateways to escape the heat!
- It's official! Besides Punjab, AAP to contest elections in Goa as well, confirms Arvind Kejriwal
- NEET ordinance: Union Health Minister JP Nadda to meet President on Monday
- Will meet Trump despite his dangerous views on Muslims: Cameron
- Sambhavna Seth ready to walk down the aisle! - Pics inside