PGIMER withholds MD entrance results
Chandigarh: The Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) here has withheld for an indefinite period the result of the 7,300 candidates who appeared for its MD entrance examination on Saturday after the CBI took 14 people, including seven girls, on remand till November 15 to probe a racket in solving the exam paper.
"The examination results have been withheld for an indefinite period. This is the status as of now. In normal circumstances, the results would have been declared the following day," PGIMER`s spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said here today.
Asked if there was a lapse on the institute`s part and that it failed to detect that the accused girls, who are from Andhra Pradesh, were not meeting the eligibility criteria of having a valid MBBS degree for appearing in the examination, she said, "when candidates apply for these exams, we only take photocopies of certificates from them. The original documents are only verified once the candidates have cleared the examination".
After the arrest of seven girls along with seven accomplices from here, CBI investigations revealed that the accused girls did not hold MBBS degrees and some were merely matriculates or Class XII pass and the agency is scrutinising the records submitted by the candidates.
According to CBI sources, the 14 people arrested from Chandigarh, allegedly involved in answering questions of the post-doctoral exams at the prestigious PGI, Chandigarh, used to charge Rs 50 lakh per candidate.
CBI had arrested 14 people from Chandigarh and detained three in Patna and one in Hyderabad after its sleuths swooped down on examination centres and arrested seven girls who were writing the exams with the help of blue-tooth hearing devices embedded in their ears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'