Plans to set up desalination plants in Lakshadweep
New Delhi: The government is considering a proposal for setting up six Low Temperature Thermal Desalination (LTTD) plants on Lakshadweep Islands for converting sea water into potable water.
This was stated by Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy in a written response to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
A proposal to set up six LTTD plants to be funded by the Lakshadweep administration, one each in the islands of Lakshadweep viz Amini, Chetlet, Kadamath, Kalpeni, Kiltan and Andrott with a capacity of generating one lakh litre of potable water per day is under consideration of the government, Reddy said.
He said a plan to set up a LTTD plant with a capacity of generating 2 million litres of potable water everyday at Tuticorin Thermal Power station in Tamil Nadu by the end of 12th five year plan was proposed.
In the reply, Reddy said the LTTD technology had been indigenously designed and developed by the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT).
In reply to another question, Reddy said the India Meteorological Department in coordination with state governments is generating weather forecasts for major yatras like Amarnath yatra, Mansarovar yatra, Chardham yatra and also various mountaineering expeditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics