Pondy DMK asks CM to oppose CET for medical courses
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of DMK on Wednesday urged Chief Minister N Rangasamy to raise strong protest against the Centre`s move to bring in Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission of students to medical course.
Unit Convenor MAS Subramanian in a release said his party chief M.Karunanidhi had registered strong protest against the CET as it would be "injurious" to SC/ST and BC and MBC students and also those from rural areas as they could not compete with students from affluent sections.
States like Jammu and Kashmir and also the Congress ruled Andhra Pradesh have resisted the move.
Accusing Rangasamy of maintaining a silence on the issue, Subramanian said constituent regions of Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam adopt different educational patterns and hence CET would not be relevant and acceptable for the Union Territory.
The government should also move the Supreme Court to ensure that CET was not implemented in Puducherry, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand