Pondy DMK asks CM to oppose CET for medical courses
Puducherry: Puducherry unit of DMK on Wednesday urged Chief Minister N Rangasamy to raise strong protest against the Centre`s move to bring in Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission of students to medical course.
Unit Convenor MAS Subramanian in a release said his party chief M.Karunanidhi had registered strong protest against the CET as it would be "injurious" to SC/ST and BC and MBC students and also those from rural areas as they could not compete with students from affluent sections.
States like Jammu and Kashmir and also the Congress ruled Andhra Pradesh have resisted the move.
Accusing Rangasamy of maintaining a silence on the issue, Subramanian said constituent regions of Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam adopt different educational patterns and hence CET would not be relevant and acceptable for the Union Territory.
The government should also move the Supreme Court to ensure that CET was not implemented in Puducherry, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy