Puducherry: Cong, AIADMK want longer Assembly session
Puducherry: Oppositon Congress and AIADMK on Tuesday urged that the session of Puducherry Assembly slated to commence on July 16 should be held for sufficiently longer period so as to enable them raise several issues.
The two parties at separate press conferences said indications were that the session was likely to be a brief one which would not be adequate to discuss all issues.
Leader of the Opposition and former Chief Minister V Vaithilingam said issues such as unemployment problem, "retrenchment" of around 4,000 staff from various public sector undertakings, poor functioning of the textile mills and also price rise gripping the common man.
"These issues cannot be discussed for a solution in just seven working days on the floor of the House and hence the session should be held for at least twenty days," he said.
He claimed that according to information available to him, the session would be held only for a few days, adding Congress would write to Speaker V Sabapathy seeking extension of session.
He brushed aside a suggestion that the ruling AINRC and the Congress appeared coming close going by the former`s support to UPA Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, saying even parties like Shiv Sena and CPI-M, who have been opposing the Congress, had also backed the former Finance Minister.
AIADMK local unit Secretary A Anbalagan said the session should be held for at least 18 days and said he had written a detailed letter to the Speaker.
He alleged there was a deliberate attempt to have the session for a few days and adjourn it on July 31.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30
- Waqar Younis blames Shahid Afridi for T20 losses, wants Umar Akmal axed from team
- 35 mn talked about Indian assembly polls on Facebook; BJP most discussed party
- Sensex sweats as BoJ holds off on stimulus, skids 160 points
- Indian artist Sudarsan Pattnaik bags gold medal at sand art contest in Moscow