Puducherry: Cong, AIADMK want longer Assembly session
Puducherry: Oppositon Congress and AIADMK on Tuesday urged that the session of Puducherry Assembly slated to commence on July 16 should be held for sufficiently longer period so as to enable them raise several issues.
The two parties at separate press conferences said indications were that the session was likely to be a brief one which would not be adequate to discuss all issues.
Leader of the Opposition and former Chief Minister V Vaithilingam said issues such as unemployment problem, "retrenchment" of around 4,000 staff from various public sector undertakings, poor functioning of the textile mills and also price rise gripping the common man.
"These issues cannot be discussed for a solution in just seven working days on the floor of the House and hence the session should be held for at least twenty days," he said.
He claimed that according to information available to him, the session would be held only for a few days, adding Congress would write to Speaker V Sabapathy seeking extension of session.
He brushed aside a suggestion that the ruling AINRC and the Congress appeared coming close going by the former`s support to UPA Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, saying even parties like Shiv Sena and CPI-M, who have been opposing the Congress, had also backed the former Finance Minister.
AIADMK local unit Secretary A Anbalagan said the session should be held for at least 18 days and said he had written a detailed letter to the Speaker.
He alleged there was a deliberate attempt to have the session for a few days and adjourn it on July 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read