Puducherry gang-rape case: Two more arrested
Karaikal: Two more persons have been detained in connection with the gang rape of an young woman here as it came to fore on Sunday that another absconding accused was a repeat offender, having been sentenced to three years imprisonment nearly ten years ago for a similar crime.
CB-CID police arrested one Jayakanthan from his relative`s house at Vailankanni this morning, while Faizal surrendered before Karaikal Judicial Magistrate-II Jayanthi last evening.
With the detention of the two, the total number of those arrested in the case has risen to 13.
Police said they were searching for two more persons, including Nasser, who was convicted in a rape case in 1994 and sentenced to three years imprisonment, for their alleged involvement in the latest sexual assault.
The 21-year old woman hailing from Nannilam in neighbouring Tamil Nadu in her complaint to police had said 15 persons had raped her on December 24 after abducting her. They sexually assaulted her throughout the day and let her off the next day.
The victim is undergoing treatment at the government hospital here.
Soon after the complaint, the police arrested 11 persons, including a Juvenile and registered cases under various sections of IPC including 376-2(g) (punishment for rape).
Investigations revealed Nasser had a criminal background and a court had awarded him three years jail term for raping a woman in 1994. However, on appeal, this was commuted to 18 months in 1999, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal