Puducherry`s first CM remembered
Puducherry: Chief Minister N Rangasamy led a host of leaders in paying tribute to first Chief Minister of Puducherry Edouard Goubert on the occasion of his 118th birth anniversary on Sunday.
Rangasamy accompanied by his Cabinet colleagues, legislators and freedom fighters paid floral tributes at the statue of Goubert here.
Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy, PCC leader A V Subramanian, leader of the opposition V Vaithilingam were among otheres who garlanded the leader`s statue.
Goubert, popularly known as `Pappa` (father), was the first Chief Minister of Puducherry in the wake of de jure transfer of the French establishments to Indian Union in 1962.
He was a staunch Congress leader and his close links with the Central leaders was chiefly instrumental for development of Puducherry and he successfully initiated steps to set up the centrally administered medical college JIPMER.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth