Rangasamy reiterates demand for statehood
Puducherry: Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy on Saturday renewed the demand for statehood for Puducherry.
Seeking cooperation of all political parties in this regard, Rangasamy said "unless Puducherry becomes a State we will continue to suffer for want of powers to take decisions."
Reiterating his demand, he said as a "Union Territory now we have to meekly accept and implement whatever schemes the Central government brings in. We are totally helpless."
He was speaking after launching `Aadhaar based Direct Benefit Transfer` of subsidy` scheme for consumers of LPG in Puducherry.
The Chief Minister said banks should act speedily and ensure that beneficiaries of the direct benefit transfer scheme did not face difficulties.
Referring to payment of monthly assistance to the aged (Old Age Pension) through banks under the DBT scheme, he advised banks to take steps to make the amount available to the aged at their doorsteps.
He concurred with the views of AIADMK legislator A Anbalagan, who had left the venue after airing his criticisms against the Centre.
Earlier, Anbalagan alleged that Congress-led UPA government was keeping the coming Lok Sabha polls in mind while implementing the DBT scheme although it was "causing hardships" to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH