Rape charge: 5 police constables sent to 3-day police remand
Chandigarh: Five Chandigarh police constables, accused of raping a minor girl, were on Friday sent to three-day police remand by a local court here.
Jagtar, Akshay, Himmat, Sunil and Anil were sent to the police remand by the district court here.
The accused, all residents of Khuda Lahora village here, have been arrested and a case under various sections of IPC had been registered, a release issued by the Chandigarh police said here.
Four of the accused were arrested yesterday, while Anil was arrested today, they said.
In a big embarrassment to Chandigarh police, a Class 10 girl yesterday lodged a complaint, alleging that she had been raped and molested by five constables for one and a half months.
In her complaint, the victim alleged that a few weeks ago, she had called police following a dispute with a relative. But the constable who had answered her call allegedly started harassing her on the pretext of recording her statement.
The constable in question also allegedly took her in a vehicle and raped her at gunpoint, she said, adding that four of the accused`s colleagues joined him later and sexually exploited her for weeks.
Meanwhile, members of BJP and Congress today staged a protest outside the Sector 17 police station, demanding dismissal of all the accused constables allegedly involved in the incident.
BJP activists also held a demonstration outside the Chandigarh Police Headquarters in Sector 9 and at some other prominent locations, including Sectors 22 and 16.
Police resorted to mild cane charge to disperse the protesters.
BJP Chandigarh unit President Sanjay Tandon said all the accused should be terminated from their job forthwith in order to send a clear message to police fraternity to not repeat such an act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Law & Order' actor Steven Hill dies at 94
- Biopic on Kishore Kumar, RD Burman shouldn't be made: Naseeruddin Shah
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad