Rape charge: 5 police constables sent to 3-day police remand
Chandigarh: Five Chandigarh police constables, accused of raping a minor girl, were on Friday sent to three-day police remand by a local court here.
Jagtar, Akshay, Himmat, Sunil and Anil were sent to the police remand by the district court here.
The accused, all residents of Khuda Lahora village here, have been arrested and a case under various sections of IPC had been registered, a release issued by the Chandigarh police said here.
Four of the accused were arrested yesterday, while Anil was arrested today, they said.
In a big embarrassment to Chandigarh police, a Class 10 girl yesterday lodged a complaint, alleging that she had been raped and molested by five constables for one and a half months.
In her complaint, the victim alleged that a few weeks ago, she had called police following a dispute with a relative. But the constable who had answered her call allegedly started harassing her on the pretext of recording her statement.
The constable in question also allegedly took her in a vehicle and raped her at gunpoint, she said, adding that four of the accused`s colleagues joined him later and sexually exploited her for weeks.
Meanwhile, members of BJP and Congress today staged a protest outside the Sector 17 police station, demanding dismissal of all the accused constables allegedly involved in the incident.
BJP activists also held a demonstration outside the Chandigarh Police Headquarters in Sector 9 and at some other prominent locations, including Sectors 22 and 16.
Police resorted to mild cane charge to disperse the protesters.
BJP Chandigarh unit President Sanjay Tandon said all the accused should be terminated from their job forthwith in order to send a clear message to police fraternity to not repeat such an act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling