Rape charge: 5 police constables sent to 3-day police remand
Chandigarh: Five Chandigarh police constables, accused of raping a minor girl, were on Friday sent to three-day police remand by a local court here.
Jagtar, Akshay, Himmat, Sunil and Anil were sent to the police remand by the district court here.
The accused, all residents of Khuda Lahora village here, have been arrested and a case under various sections of IPC had been registered, a release issued by the Chandigarh police said here.
Four of the accused were arrested yesterday, while Anil was arrested today, they said.
In a big embarrassment to Chandigarh police, a Class 10 girl yesterday lodged a complaint, alleging that she had been raped and molested by five constables for one and a half months.
In her complaint, the victim alleged that a few weeks ago, she had called police following a dispute with a relative. But the constable who had answered her call allegedly started harassing her on the pretext of recording her statement.
The constable in question also allegedly took her in a vehicle and raped her at gunpoint, she said, adding that four of the accused`s colleagues joined him later and sexually exploited her for weeks.
Meanwhile, members of BJP and Congress today staged a protest outside the Sector 17 police station, demanding dismissal of all the accused constables allegedly involved in the incident.
BJP activists also held a demonstration outside the Chandigarh Police Headquarters in Sector 9 and at some other prominent locations, including Sectors 22 and 16.
Police resorted to mild cane charge to disperse the protesters.
BJP Chandigarh unit President Sanjay Tandon said all the accused should be terminated from their job forthwith in order to send a clear message to police fraternity to not repeat such an act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen