Sankararaman case hearing adjourned till April 4
Puducherry: A local court Thursday adjourned to April 4 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Only five of the 24 accused were present during the hearing and the absentees included the two seers.
Since the Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan, who is hearing the case, is on leave on health grounds, Second Additional District and Sessions Judge T. Mohandoss adjourned the hearing to April 4.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss told reporters outside the court that the petition he had filed earlier for action against the approver Ravi Subramanian as he had turned hostile, was to have come up for hearing today, and it would be taken up at the next hearing.
Ravi Subramanian, a building contractor, had turned hostile during examination on January 21, 2010.
Sankararaman, the manager of the Varadarajaperumal temple at Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers have been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu by an order of the Supreme court on a petition Jayendra had filed before it on October 25, 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, wife of Sankararaman, his son and daughter, were examined in the trial and 81 of them turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad