Sankararaman murder case adjourned to January 4
Puducherry: A local court on Monday adjourned to January 04 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge CS Murugan before whom the trial is on, adjourned further proceedings to that date as Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss could not turn up as he was in Australia in connection with some personal work.
The SPP was to have presented arguments in reply to defence counsels of all 24 accused during earlier hearings.
A petition citing the reason for his absence was presented to the court through the police, source said
Devadoss would present the arguments on January 4 when hearing resumes.
Only 10 of the 24 accused were present in the court today and the absentees included the two seers and the Manager of the Kanchi Mutt M Sundaresa Iyer.
Sankararaman,former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered in the temple precincts on September 03, 2004. The trial was shifted from Kancheepuram to Puducherry on an order of the Supreme Court, issued on a petition by Jayendra Saraswati in October 2005.
The seers have been charged under Sections 120-B(criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC.A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Sankararaman`s widow, his son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty-one of the witnesses had turned hostile during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!
- Bipasha Basu tells you how to combat bad hair day! Pic inside
- Donald Trump has already damaged national security: Madeline Albright
- These bollywood movie makers, superstars have been issued service tax notices by CBEC –Know