Sankararaman murder case adjourned to January 4
Puducherry: A local court on Monday adjourned to January 04 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge CS Murugan before whom the trial is on, adjourned further proceedings to that date as Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss could not turn up as he was in Australia in connection with some personal work.
The SPP was to have presented arguments in reply to defence counsels of all 24 accused during earlier hearings.
A petition citing the reason for his absence was presented to the court through the police, source said
Devadoss would present the arguments on January 4 when hearing resumes.
Only 10 of the 24 accused were present in the court today and the absentees included the two seers and the Manager of the Kanchi Mutt M Sundaresa Iyer.
Sankararaman,former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered in the temple precincts on September 03, 2004. The trial was shifted from Kancheepuram to Puducherry on an order of the Supreme Court, issued on a petition by Jayendra Saraswati in October 2005.
The seers have been charged under Sections 120-B(criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC.A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Sankararaman`s widow, his son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty-one of the witnesses had turned hostile during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days