Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned
Puducherry: A local court Friday adjourned to January 24 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
When the hearing resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan, Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss commenced his arguments.
Eleven of the 24 accused including Vijayendra were present, while Jayendra was among the absentees.
Devadoss later told reporters that he would resume his replies in the next hearing.
The Defence had already completed arguments.
Sankararaman, former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
The trial was shifted from a Chengalpattu court in Tamil Nadu to Puducherry following an order of the Supreme Court, on a petition by Jayendra Saraswati in October 2005.
The seers have been charged under Sections 120-B(criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC. A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Sankararaman`s widow, his son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty one of the witnesses had turned hostile during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!