Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned
Puducherry: A local court Friday adjourned to January 24 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
When the hearing resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan, Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss commenced his arguments.
Eleven of the 24 accused including Vijayendra were present, while Jayendra was among the absentees.
Devadoss later told reporters that he would resume his replies in the next hearing.
The Defence had already completed arguments.
Sankararaman, former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
The trial was shifted from a Chengalpattu court in Tamil Nadu to Puducherry following an order of the Supreme Court, on a petition by Jayendra Saraswati in October 2005.
The seers have been charged under Sections 120-B(criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of IPC. A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Sankararaman`s widow, his son and daughter were examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty one of the witnesses had turned hostile during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy