Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned to Feb 13
Puducherry: A local court Wednesday adjourned to February 13 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra Saraswati are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan was on leave and the hearing came up before the II ?Additional District and Sessions Judge T Mohandoss, who adjourned the hearing to February 13.
Only seven of 24 accused were present. The absentees included the two seers when the hearing came up today.
Senior Pubic Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters later he would continue his replies to the arguments defence counsels had presented in earlier hearings.
Devadoss had presented the replies on January 18 and 24 and was to have continued the replies today.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers were charged under the IPC Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu on an order of the Supreme Court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswati before it in October 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Padma (widow of Sankararaman) and his son and daughter were examined and cross examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty-one of the 189 witnesses turned hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you