Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned to Feb 13
Puducherry: A local court Wednesday adjourned to February 13 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra Saraswati are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan was on leave and the hearing came up before the II ?Additional District and Sessions Judge T Mohandoss, who adjourned the hearing to February 13.
Only seven of 24 accused were present. The absentees included the two seers when the hearing came up today.
Senior Pubic Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters later he would continue his replies to the arguments defence counsels had presented in earlier hearings.
Devadoss had presented the replies on January 18 and 24 and was to have continued the replies today.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers were charged under the IPC Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu on an order of the Supreme Court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswati before it in October 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Padma (widow of Sankararaman) and his son and daughter were examined and cross examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty-one of the 189 witnesses turned hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy