Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned to Feb 13
Puducherry: A local court Wednesday adjourned to February 13 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt seer Jayendra Saraswati and his junior Vijayendra Saraswati are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan was on leave and the hearing came up before the II ?Additional District and Sessions Judge T Mohandoss, who adjourned the hearing to February 13.
Only seven of 24 accused were present. The absentees included the two seers when the hearing came up today.
Senior Pubic Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters later he would continue his replies to the arguments defence counsels had presented in earlier hearings.
Devadoss had presented the replies on January 18 and 24 and was to have continued the replies today.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered on its premises on September 3, 2004.
The two seers were charged under the IPC Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu on an order of the Supreme Court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswati before it in October 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses, including Padma (widow of Sankararaman) and his son and daughter were examined and cross examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011.
Eighty-one of the 189 witnesses turned hostile during examination.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!