ST Commission issues notice on Jarawa video
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the video
footage showing alleged involvement of cops in "human safaris"
involving Jarawas, the Scheduled Tribes Commission on Monday asked
Andaman and Nicobar administration to take action against
those involved and submit a report at the earliest.
Issuing a notice to the Union Territory administration,
the NCST has sought a reply on action taken by it to protect
the members of the primitive tribe from exploitation as
directed by the Calcutta High Court and act against the
culprits shown in the footage where tribals were made to dance
"There is a High Court order to protect Jarawas from
exploitation. We have sought a reply from the administration
there on steps taken to enforce that order. We have also asked
them to identify the culprits shown in the footage and take
necessary action against them," NCST Chairman Rameshwar Oraon
He said the Calcutta High Court, which has jurisdiction
over the island territory, had given an order directing the
administration to take steps to protect Jarawas from
encroachment and contact.
The High Court order came after a Public Interest
Litigation (PIL) was filed citing the negative impact of
Andaman Trunk Road (ATR), which passes through the forest
reserve inhabited by Jarawas.
Meanwhile, government is also exploring the possibility of
having an alternate connectivity with the Great Nicobar
island, through sea and aerial route, if the ATR is closed
"The problem inside is the ATR which joins Port Blair
with the Greater Nicobar, it passes through that area. If ATR
is closed, then the alternate routes will be the sea and
aerial route," Tribal Affairs Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3