ST Commission issues notice on Jarawa video
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the video
footage showing alleged involvement of cops in "human safaris"
involving Jarawas, the Scheduled Tribes Commission on Monday asked
Andaman and Nicobar administration to take action against
those involved and submit a report at the earliest.
Issuing a notice to the Union Territory administration,
the NCST has sought a reply on action taken by it to protect
the members of the primitive tribe from exploitation as
directed by the Calcutta High Court and act against the
culprits shown in the footage where tribals were made to dance
"There is a High Court order to protect Jarawas from
exploitation. We have sought a reply from the administration
there on steps taken to enforce that order. We have also asked
them to identify the culprits shown in the footage and take
necessary action against them," NCST Chairman Rameshwar Oraon
He said the Calcutta High Court, which has jurisdiction
over the island territory, had given an order directing the
administration to take steps to protect Jarawas from
encroachment and contact.
The High Court order came after a Public Interest
Litigation (PIL) was filed citing the negative impact of
Andaman Trunk Road (ATR), which passes through the forest
reserve inhabited by Jarawas.
Meanwhile, government is also exploring the possibility of
having an alternate connectivity with the Great Nicobar
island, through sea and aerial route, if the ATR is closed
"The problem inside is the ATR which joins Port Blair
with the Greater Nicobar, it passes through that area. If ATR
is closed, then the alternate routes will be the sea and
aerial route," Tribal Affairs Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow