Ten-member gang enter sub-jail premises
Puducherry: A ten-member gang Thursday stealthily entered the premises of a sub-jail at Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, allegedly to attack an inmate, but swift action by police led to the arrest of seven gangsters.
The gang armed with lethal weapons had climbed the compound wall from the rear and spanned out in different directions. They tied the jail warden, who spotted them, to a pole but an assistant warden sounded the alarm, officials said.
Though the gangsters fled, seven of them were nabbed outside the prison, police said, adding, search is on for the others.
Tight vigil is being maintained in and around the jail, sources said, adding, the situation was now under control.
As per initial reports, sources said, the gangsters hailing from Puducherry, Karaikal and Nagore had targeted one of the convicts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report