Ten-member gang enter sub-jail premises
Puducherry: A ten-member gang Thursday stealthily entered the premises of a sub-jail at Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, allegedly to attack an inmate, but swift action by police led to the arrest of seven gangsters.
The gang armed with lethal weapons had climbed the compound wall from the rear and spanned out in different directions. They tied the jail warden, who spotted them, to a pole but an assistant warden sounded the alarm, officials said.
Though the gangsters fled, seven of them were nabbed outside the prison, police said, adding, search is on for the others.
Tight vigil is being maintained in and around the jail, sources said, adding, the situation was now under control.
As per initial reports, sources said, the gangsters hailing from Puducherry, Karaikal and Nagore had targeted one of the convicts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends