Two arrested in Jarawa video recording case
Port Blair: Days after a controversial video
surfaced showing Jarawa women dancing semi-naked before
tourists, the Andaman and Nicobar police have arrested two
persons in connection with the case.
This is the first arrests made in the case.
The police in a statement here said that Rajesh Vyas,
owner of a gift shop, and Guddu, a taxi driver, were arrested
after it was found that the duo allegedly help tourists visit
the protected land for Jarawas and arrange video recording of
The police investigation found that the duo allegedly
took tourists to different places to Middle Strait through
Andaman Trunk Road which passes through the land of Jarawas.
A London-based newspaper had recently reported about a
video showing semi-naked Jarawa women dancing in front of
They used to allegedly take money from foreign tourists
on the pretext that it had to be paid to the police, sources
The police have been questioning several tour operators
and taxi drivers of Port Blair to track down the source of
video, officials said.
Vehicles passing through Andaman Trunk Road are being
screened by the investigating team. They have also raided
several CD or souvenir shops here to recover any offensive
video concerning the Jarawas.
Andaman Police had registered a case on January 12
against unnamed persons in connection with the shooting and
uploading of the video under the Indian Penal Code,
Information and Technology Act and Scheduled Caste and
Scheduled Tribes and Protection of Aboriginal Tribes.
Under the Protection of Aboriginal Tribes (PAT) Act,
taking pictures or video shooting of tribals is banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA