Two arrested in Jarawa video recording case
Port Blair: Days after a controversial video
surfaced showing Jarawa women dancing semi-naked before
tourists, the Andaman and Nicobar police have arrested two
persons in connection with the case.
This is the first arrests made in the case.
The police in a statement here said that Rajesh Vyas,
owner of a gift shop, and Guddu, a taxi driver, were arrested
after it was found that the duo allegedly help tourists visit
the protected land for Jarawas and arrange video recording of
The police investigation found that the duo allegedly
took tourists to different places to Middle Strait through
Andaman Trunk Road which passes through the land of Jarawas.
A London-based newspaper had recently reported about a
video showing semi-naked Jarawa women dancing in front of
They used to allegedly take money from foreign tourists
on the pretext that it had to be paid to the police, sources
The police have been questioning several tour operators
and taxi drivers of Port Blair to track down the source of
video, officials said.
Vehicles passing through Andaman Trunk Road are being
screened by the investigating team. They have also raided
several CD or souvenir shops here to recover any offensive
video concerning the Jarawas.
Andaman Police had registered a case on January 12
against unnamed persons in connection with the shooting and
uploading of the video under the Indian Penal Code,
Information and Technology Act and Scheduled Caste and
Scheduled Tribes and Protection of Aboriginal Tribes.
Under the Protection of Aboriginal Tribes (PAT) Act,
taking pictures or video shooting of tribals is banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued