Two arrested in Jarawa video recording case
Port Blair: Days after a controversial video
surfaced showing Jarawa women dancing semi-naked before
tourists, the Andaman and Nicobar police have arrested two
persons in connection with the case.
This is the first arrests made in the case.
The police in a statement here said that Rajesh Vyas,
owner of a gift shop, and Guddu, a taxi driver, were arrested
after it was found that the duo allegedly help tourists visit
the protected land for Jarawas and arrange video recording of
The police investigation found that the duo allegedly
took tourists to different places to Middle Strait through
Andaman Trunk Road which passes through the land of Jarawas.
A London-based newspaper had recently reported about a
video showing semi-naked Jarawa women dancing in front of
They used to allegedly take money from foreign tourists
on the pretext that it had to be paid to the police, sources
The police have been questioning several tour operators
and taxi drivers of Port Blair to track down the source of
video, officials said.
Vehicles passing through Andaman Trunk Road are being
screened by the investigating team. They have also raided
several CD or souvenir shops here to recover any offensive
video concerning the Jarawas.
Andaman Police had registered a case on January 12
against unnamed persons in connection with the shooting and
uploading of the video under the Indian Penal Code,
Information and Technology Act and Scheduled Caste and
Scheduled Tribes and Protection of Aboriginal Tribes.
Under the Protection of Aboriginal Tribes (PAT) Act,
taking pictures or video shooting of tribals is banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead