Violence against women on rise in Mizoram: Activists
Aizawl: Violence against woman has been on
the rise in Mizoram, where 40 cases of minor rape had been
recorded by the police during this year, despite the fair sex
holding high position in Mizo society, social activists said.
Referring to the police figures of 21 cases of adult
rape, 13 cases of physical violence and four incidents of
domestic violence in 2009, Secretary of Aizawl-based Centre
for Peace and Development Angela Ch. Ralte said cases of
sexual harassment and domestic violence were on the rise.
Even nine complaints of abduction of women were lodged
with the police during the period.
Notwithstanding the absence of a proper study,
domestic violence would likely be very high in the
state considering the fact that a majority of the victims do
not come in the open for fear of further domestic strife, a
counsellor working for the CPD, C Lalthansangi said.
"Large majority of the perpetrators of domestic
violence are alcoholics who commit the crime in an
inebriated condition," Lalthansangi said adding only a few
husbands would beat their spouses due to mere anger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what