Violence against women on rise in Mizoram: Activists
Aizawl: Violence against woman has been on
the rise in Mizoram, where 40 cases of minor rape had been
recorded by the police during this year, despite the fair sex
holding high position in Mizo society, social activists said.
Referring to the police figures of 21 cases of adult
rape, 13 cases of physical violence and four incidents of
domestic violence in 2009, Secretary of Aizawl-based Centre
for Peace and Development Angela Ch. Ralte said cases of
sexual harassment and domestic violence were on the rise.
Even nine complaints of abduction of women were lodged
with the police during the period.
Notwithstanding the absence of a proper study,
domestic violence would likely be very high in the
state considering the fact that a majority of the victims do
not come in the open for fear of further domestic strife, a
counsellor working for the CPD, C Lalthansangi said.
"Large majority of the perpetrators of domestic
violence are alcoholics who commit the crime in an
inebriated condition," Lalthansangi said adding only a few
husbands would beat their spouses due to mere anger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report