1 dead in fresh violence in strife-torn Bareilly
Bareilly: A youth on Wednesday was killed in fresh violence in the strife-torn town after a lull of two days when members of two communities clashed at a place under Baradari police station, hurling brickbats and opening fire.
Police said the incident took place in Jogi Newada locality in which Imran (20) was hit by a bullet and later died at a private hospital.
District Magistrate Manish Chauhan, however, said Imran was killed in a clash related to election rivalry.
With this the toll rose to three in the clashes that began on Sunday in Bareilly and neighbouring Aonla town.
Senior Superintendent of Police Sanjiv Gupta said one person was arrested from the spot after the firing incident.
One person was killed and several others were injured in Bareilly in a clash that spread to neighbouring Aonla after which curfew was imposed in both the places.
On Tuesday a teenager Farhan died during treatment at the hospital, though IG (Law and Order) BP Singh said in Lucknow that it was not clear where he was injured.
Earlier in the day, with the situation showing signs of improvement, curfew was relaxed even as 105 more arrests were made in connection with the clashes.
With this, a total of 370 people have been arrested in connection with the clashes.
Meanwhile, Additional Director General of Police Jagmohan Yadav said that action under the stringent National Security Act (NSA) would be taken against those involved in clashes.
He told reporters that video footage of the clashes were being checked and action would be taken against those involved.
The ADG said that so far 14 cases among 204 people have been lodged of which 75 have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you