10 Kashmiri students expelled from Meerut university
Meerut: Ten Kashmiri students caught in a row over cheering for Pakistan cricket team have been expelled by a private university here after they were found guilty of misconduct and damaging property while suspension of 57 other Kashmiri students was revoked.
Over two months after a controversy broke out over Swami Vivekanand Subharti University taking action against students for allegedly cheering for the Pakistan team, a disciplinary committee set up by the University found ten students guilty of misconduct and damaging university property, Vice- Chancellor Prof Manzoor Ahmed said here today.
However, the committee revoked the suspension of 57 other students.
"The 10 students are writing their exams now. Once exams get over, they will be sent back home," he told PTI, adding after their exams are over, they will be issued migration certificates.
67 Kashmiri students of the SVSU were suspended after they had allegedly distributed sweets at the University hostel and cheered for Pakistan cricket team`s victory in a cricket match with India on March 2.
The University authorities had set up a disciplinary committee to probe the incident.
The city police even slapped sedition charges on students which were later withdrawn following widespread criticism, including from Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The local police is also probing the matter and they have recorded statements of the University administration and committee members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg