10 Kashmiri students expelled from Meerut university
Meerut: Ten Kashmiri students caught in a row over cheering for Pakistan cricket team have been expelled by a private university here after they were found guilty of misconduct and damaging property while suspension of 57 other Kashmiri students was revoked.
Over two months after a controversy broke out over Swami Vivekanand Subharti University taking action against students for allegedly cheering for the Pakistan team, a disciplinary committee set up by the University found ten students guilty of misconduct and damaging university property, Vice- Chancellor Prof Manzoor Ahmed said here today.
However, the committee revoked the suspension of 57 other students.
"The 10 students are writing their exams now. Once exams get over, they will be sent back home," he told PTI, adding after their exams are over, they will be issued migration certificates.
67 Kashmiri students of the SVSU were suspended after they had allegedly distributed sweets at the University hostel and cheered for Pakistan cricket team`s victory in a cricket match with India on March 2.
The University authorities had set up a disciplinary committee to probe the incident.
The city police even slapped sedition charges on students which were later withdrawn following widespread criticism, including from Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The local police is also probing the matter and they have recorded statements of the University administration and committee members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened