10 Kashmiri students expelled from Meerut university
Meerut: Ten Kashmiri students caught in a row over cheering for Pakistan cricket team have been expelled by a private university here after they were found guilty of misconduct and damaging property while suspension of 57 other Kashmiri students was revoked.
Over two months after a controversy broke out over Swami Vivekanand Subharti University taking action against students for allegedly cheering for the Pakistan team, a disciplinary committee set up by the University found ten students guilty of misconduct and damaging university property, Vice- Chancellor Prof Manzoor Ahmed said here today.
However, the committee revoked the suspension of 57 other students.
"The 10 students are writing their exams now. Once exams get over, they will be sent back home," he told PTI, adding after their exams are over, they will be issued migration certificates.
67 Kashmiri students of the SVSU were suspended after they had allegedly distributed sweets at the University hostel and cheered for Pakistan cricket team`s victory in a cricket match with India on March 2.
The University authorities had set up a disciplinary committee to probe the incident.
The city police even slapped sedition charges on students which were later withdrawn following widespread criticism, including from Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The local police is also probing the matter and they have recorded statements of the University administration and committee members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism
- Cleric suspended after selfies with Pakistan`s `Kim Kardashian`