10 policemen injured as agitating farmers turn violent
Agra: Agitating farmers on Tuesday attacked a
police picket near Chougaon village of the district, leaving
several policemen and a sub divisional magistrate injured.
The protesters attacked the picket in Etmadpur tehsil,
about 20 kms from here, with brickbats and in the ensuing
clash, around 10 policemen, including circle officer Mahesh
Kumar, and SDM Dhirendra Sachan were injured, police sources
With the small police party being outnumbered, a
reinforcement from Agra reached the spot, along with DIG
Deepesh Juneja and DM Amrit Abhijat, they said, adding police
fired rubber bullets to disperse the mob.
The villagers were demanding compensation for their land
acquired by the NHAI for road widening at the same rate as
given to farmers in Noida, among others.
Later, regional leaders of the RLD held talks with the
district administration on behalf of the agitating farmers.
The incident comes a day after two police constables
were attacked by a group of farmers near Chaugaon village.
The two policemen had been posted there in view of the
ongoing agitation by farmers for better compensation of their
land acquired for the Yamuna Expressway.
Police said constables Sugharh Singh and Ashok Kumar,
were left bleeding on the roadside last night and their rifles
and motorbikes taken away, before a passerby informed the
The rifles were, however, recovered later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!