10 policemen injured as agitating farmers turn violent
Agra: Agitating farmers on Tuesday attacked a
police picket near Chougaon village of the district, leaving
several policemen and a sub divisional magistrate injured.
The protesters attacked the picket in Etmadpur tehsil,
about 20 kms from here, with brickbats and in the ensuing
clash, around 10 policemen, including circle officer Mahesh
Kumar, and SDM Dhirendra Sachan were injured, police sources
With the small police party being outnumbered, a
reinforcement from Agra reached the spot, along with DIG
Deepesh Juneja and DM Amrit Abhijat, they said, adding police
fired rubber bullets to disperse the mob.
The villagers were demanding compensation for their land
acquired by the NHAI for road widening at the same rate as
given to farmers in Noida, among others.
Later, regional leaders of the RLD held talks with the
district administration on behalf of the agitating farmers.
The incident comes a day after two police constables
were attacked by a group of farmers near Chaugaon village.
The two policemen had been posted there in view of the
ongoing agitation by farmers for better compensation of their
land acquired for the Yamuna Expressway.
Police said constables Sugharh Singh and Ashok Kumar,
were left bleeding on the roadside last night and their rifles
and motorbikes taken away, before a passerby informed the
The rifles were, however, recovered later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state