10,000 preventive arrests over Muzaffarnagar riots
Lucknow: Over 10,000 preventive arrests have taken place following the communal violence in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar district which was calm for the third consecutive day on Thursday, officials said.
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Arun Kumar said arrests were on and so far over 10,000 preventive arrests had been made till Wednesday.
As many as 2,000 licensed arms have been seized by the district administration and their licences cancelled.
"Things are looking up now and life is getting back to normal and no fresh case of violence has been reported," Kumar said.
Police officials are carrying out door-to-door checking to identify "any remnants of mobs" and have since confiscated a large amount of ammunition, including 41 cartridges of AK-47.
Muzaffarnagar district witnessed communal violence last weekend that left 38 people dead and compelled the authorities to call in the Army.
With calm prevailing for the third consecutive day in Uttar Pradesh`s violence-hit Muzaffarnagar district, authorities moved on to identifying the victims, their lost property and began work on rehabilitation.
Officials told a news agency that till now their priority was to contain the communal violence and the situation thereafter. But now their focus has shifted to ensuring proper and adequate supply of essential items, reopening of educational institutions and identifying the victims.
"The first half of the week has gone in controlling the violence, we are now focused on bringing life back to normal and the process of identifying people affected by the riots -- deaths, injuries, and loss to property be it home or commercial establishments," an official said.
Home Secretary Kamal Saxena said 10 shelter camps for the displaced in the riots have been set up in which roughly 10,000 people have taken refuge. The relaxation in curfew has also taken place, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened