11 die in rain-related incidents in UP
Lucknow: Eleven people were killed on Friday in rain-related incidents in Uttar Pradesh where major rivers continued to flow above the red mark during its courses at several places in the state.
While three people each died in Faizabad and Lalitpur, two died in Lakhimpur and one each in Hamirpur, Banda and Hardoi in rain-related incidents like lightning and house collapse taking the toll this monsoon to 215, according to relief commissioner`s office.
According to a report from Badaun, with the release of water from Narora barrage, Ganga river was flowing menacingly, submerging three villages in the Sahaswan tehsil.
Executive engineer of flood division, DK Jain said that the situation became grim with the release of 2,08,000 cusec water yesterday and 2,172,03 cusec today, which has increased the danger of erosion and also adversely hit farming.
Central Water Commission said that Ganga continued to flow above the danger mark at Fatehgarh, Phaphamau, Varansi, Gazipur and Ballia and other places it was flowing close to the red mark.
Yamuna was also flowing above the red mark at Prayag Ghat (Mathura) and Naini in Allahabad and Sharda at Palia Kalan.
Ghaghra river was flowing above the red mark at Elgin Bridge, Ayodhya and Turtipar (Ballia), it said.
Met office said that moderate to rather heavy rain and thundershowers occurred at isolated places over east UP and few places over the western districts with heavy rainfall witnessed at isolated areas over the state.
Chief amount of rainfall recorded in cms are: Bansdih-9, Rampur-8; Meerut-6, Mummadi, Karvi-4 each; Baberu, Fatehgarh, Maharajganj, Shahjahanpur, HATA, Bareilly-3 each; Balrampur, Attara, Regoli, Moradabad, Sambhal-2 each, the Met officials added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery