12 AMU medical students booked for ragging
Aligarh: Twelve students of the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College at Aligarh Muslim University have been booked for allegedly ragging a junior on Sunday, police said.
The case was registered yesterday on the basis of a complaint filed by Jawed, a third-year student of the college.
According to police, Jawed, who is in his third-year at the college, had yesterday lodged a complaint of ragging against the 12, all of whom are fourth year students.
The complainant, a boarder of Hadi Hasan Hall, said that the accused had confronted him inside the hostel earlier in the week and ragged him, causing him great "mental agony".
Meanwhile, AMU Proctor Jamshed Siddiqui today said that they were waiting for the police report before taking any action in the matter. He added that the university had also opened a separate probe into the allegations.
He, however, pointed out that preliminary inquiries by police suggested that the "issue does not pertain to ragging but stems from a confrontation between two students".
"The complainant is a third-year student, so the charge of ragging appears far-fetched," he added.
Siddiqui said that in his initial report to university authorities, the complainant had not used the word "ragging", which had been added to the complaint as an afterthought.
He, however, stated that, "anyone found guilty would face strict disciplinary action".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened