12 killed, 24 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident
Lucknow: At least 12 members of a marriage party were killed and 24 others critically injured when their vehicle collided with a bus in Uttar Pradesh`s Etawah district, police said on Saturday.
The accident took place in Ekdil town in Etawah, some 300 km from Lucknow, when the mini truc carrying the marriage party collided with the bus owned by the state-run Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC), police added.
"The accident was due to the fault of the driver of the mini truck, who all of a sudden, changed lanes," Inspector Rajnish Kumar told a news agency on the telephone.
"Those killed and injured in the mishap were a part of the marriage party and were coming from Mainpuri district and on their way to Kanpur Dehat district, where the wedding was to take place in Rura town," he added.
The drivers of both vehicles managed to escape after the accident.
"Efforts are on to nab the drivers. Those injured are being treated at the district hospital, where their condition is stated to be critical," the inspector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery