12 killed, 24 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident
Lucknow: At least 12 members of a marriage party were killed and 24 others critically injured when their vehicle collided with a bus in Uttar Pradesh`s Etawah district, police said on Saturday.
The accident took place in Ekdil town in Etawah, some 300 km from Lucknow, when the mini truc carrying the marriage party collided with the bus owned by the state-run Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC), police added.
"The accident was due to the fault of the driver of the mini truck, who all of a sudden, changed lanes," Inspector Rajnish Kumar told a news agency on the telephone.
"Those killed and injured in the mishap were a part of the marriage party and were coming from Mainpuri district and on their way to Kanpur Dehat district, where the wedding was to take place in Rura town," he added.
The drivers of both vehicles managed to escape after the accident.
"Efforts are on to nab the drivers. Those injured are being treated at the district hospital, where their condition is stated to be critical," the inspector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi