12-year-old Dalit killed for stealing wheat
Lucknow: A 12-year-old Dalit boy was allegedly beaten to death by a group of villagers in Uttar Pradesh`s Hardoi district for stealing wheat from the fields, police said Friday.
Three men have been booked for killing the Dalit boy, police said.
Kamlesh Kumar, a resident of Kashipur village in Hardoi, about 110 km from Lucknow, was Thursday repeatedly assaulted with wooden sticks and iron rods, following which he died in the fields.
According to police, Kumar was initially spotted hiding in the wheat fields of Neeraj Singh.
When Singh learned about Kumar`s presence in his field, he along with two of his aides started beating Kumar, accusing him of stealing wheat, they added.
"Preliminary investigations reveal the three men killed the Dalit boy. All the three are absconding," police inspector Arvind Rathore told reporters in Hardoi.
"We have detained some of Singh`s close associates to ascertain his whereabouts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP