13 policemen suspended for assaulting SP candidate
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has suspended 13 police personnel for allegedly assaulting a Samajwadi Party candidate during counting of votes polled during local bodies elections on July 24, police said here.
The officials were suspended yesterday on the complaint of SP candidate Lokmanikant Jadaun, who alleged he was assaulted by local police in the room of a sub-divisional magistrate when he demanded recounting, IG Law and order Badri Prasad Singh said.
Among those suspended include four sub-inspectors, seven constables and SHOs of Shergarh and Chhata police stations, he said.
According to the complaint, Jadaun was arrested on July 24 for his alleged involvement in arson and disrupting traffic while demanding a recount and was beaten up by police.
The suspension came after an inquiry, the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read