13 policemen suspended for assaulting SP candidate
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has suspended 13 police personnel for allegedly assaulting a Samajwadi Party candidate during counting of votes polled during local bodies elections on July 24, police said here.
The officials were suspended yesterday on the complaint of SP candidate Lokmanikant Jadaun, who alleged he was assaulted by local police in the room of a sub-divisional magistrate when he demanded recounting, IG Law and order Badri Prasad Singh said.
Among those suspended include four sub-inspectors, seven constables and SHOs of Shergarh and Chhata police stations, he said.
According to the complaint, Jadaun was arrested on July 24 for his alleged involvement in arson and disrupting traffic while demanding a recount and was beaten up by police.
The suspension came after an inquiry, the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WOW! This video of Andhra actor singing Allah, Allah fires up the internet – WATCH viral video
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani