13-year-old triple murder case: HC sets aside conviction of 2
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has set aside the conviction of two persons in a 13-year-old triple murder case by a Sessions Court in Muzaffarnagar which had slapped one of the accused with capital punishment and awarded life sentence to the other.
A Division Bench comprising Justice Amar Saran and Justice Sunita Agarwal yesterday set aside the order passed by Additional District and Sessions Judge of Muzaffarnagar on February 21, 2013 whereby appellant Shaudan was awarded death sentence while Suleman was sentenced for life.
They were sentenced for the murder of Saimun, Musharraf and Shamshad, whose blood-soaked bodies were found in the fields of Nagla Bujurg village falling under Kakrauli police station on June 27, 2000.
An FIR was lodged in this connection by the deceased Saimun`s brother Sainul.
During investigation, Shaudan and Suleman - who were seen by some of the villagers with the deceased on the night preceding their murder were named as accused which led to their trial and conviction.
However, the High Court was of the view that "the prosecution has failed to establish the complicity of the appellants in this offence beyond reasonable doubt".
"The appeals therefore succeed and are allowed.
The conviction and sentence of the appellants by the trial court is therefore set aside.
The appellants are in jail, they shall be set at liberty forthwith, unless wanted in connection with some other case," the court ruled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi