14-Kosi yatra ends, Ayodhya witnesses largest gathering in recent times
Ayodhya: The ancient 14-Kosi Parikrama came to an end tonight as over 15 lakh people completed the 45-km round barefoot along the periphery of this holy city amid tight security.
The yatra, which started last night with devotees taking a dip in the Saryu river, completed tonight, ahead of its scheduled completion, officials said.
The Faizabad district administration remained alert round the clock for security and providing all assistance and cooperation to devotees.
10 companies of para military forces assisted police in ensuring a peaceful yatra.
This was one of the largest gathering that the town witnessed in recent times.
Faizabad District Magistrate Vipin Kumar Dwivedi, who was camping in Ayodhya, told that "as our estimate we have received more than 15 lakhs devotees."
"We offered them all assistance to complete the Parikrama without any problem, as per our records this was the largest gathering of devotees," the DM said.
The pilgrimage completed without any untoward incident, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say