14-Kosi yatra ends, Ayodhya witnesses largest gathering in recent times
Ayodhya: The ancient 14-Kosi Parikrama came to an end tonight as over 15 lakh people completed the 45-km round barefoot along the periphery of this holy city amid tight security.
The yatra, which started last night with devotees taking a dip in the Saryu river, completed tonight, ahead of its scheduled completion, officials said.
The Faizabad district administration remained alert round the clock for security and providing all assistance and cooperation to devotees.
10 companies of para military forces assisted police in ensuring a peaceful yatra.
This was one of the largest gathering that the town witnessed in recent times.
Faizabad District Magistrate Vipin Kumar Dwivedi, who was camping in Ayodhya, told that "as our estimate we have received more than 15 lakhs devotees."
"We offered them all assistance to complete the Parikrama without any problem, as per our records this was the largest gathering of devotees," the DM said.
The pilgrimage completed without any untoward incident, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'