15 get death for dishonour killing in Mathura
Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: A local court here on Wednesday awarded death sentence to 15 persons convicted for playing an active part in dishonour killing of a couple and their accomplice in 1991.
Besides the 15 sentenced to death, 20 others have been sentenced to life for the heinous crime committed on March 27, 1991
A lover couple was sentenced to death by hanging by the village panchyat. Besides the couple, one more person was accused of being their accomplice and was also sentenced to death.
The three were publicly hanged by a tree and later their bodies were burnt.
The chairperson of National Human Rights Commission, Mamata Sharma said welcomed the strong verdict and hoped that it will act as deterrent. However, she rued the 20-year delay in delivering justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days