15 get death for dishonour killing in Mathura
Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: A local court here on Wednesday awarded death sentence to 15 persons convicted for playing an active part in dishonour killing of a couple and their accomplice in 1991.
Besides the 15 sentenced to death, 20 others have been sentenced to life for the heinous crime committed on March 27, 1991
A lover couple was sentenced to death by hanging by the village panchyat. Besides the couple, one more person was accused of being their accomplice and was also sentenced to death.
The three were publicly hanged by a tree and later their bodies were burnt.
The chairperson of National Human Rights Commission, Mamata Sharma said welcomed the strong verdict and hoped that it will act as deterrent. However, she rued the 20-year delay in delivering justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!