15 get death for dishonour killing in Mathura
Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: A local court here on Wednesday awarded death sentence to 15 persons convicted for playing an active part in dishonour killing of a couple and their accomplice in 1991.
Besides the 15 sentenced to death, 20 others have been sentenced to life for the heinous crime committed on March 27, 1991
A lover couple was sentenced to death by hanging by the village panchyat. Besides the couple, one more person was accused of being their accomplice and was also sentenced to death.
The three were publicly hanged by a tree and later their bodies were burnt.
The chairperson of National Human Rights Commission, Mamata Sharma said welcomed the strong verdict and hoped that it will act as deterrent. However, she rued the 20-year delay in delivering justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested