15 get death for dishonour killing in Mathura
Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: A local court here on Wednesday awarded death sentence to 15 persons convicted for playing an active part in dishonour killing of a couple and their accomplice in 1991.
Besides the 15 sentenced to death, 20 others have been sentenced to life for the heinous crime committed on March 27, 1991
A lover couple was sentenced to death by hanging by the village panchyat. Besides the couple, one more person was accused of being their accomplice and was also sentenced to death.
The three were publicly hanged by a tree and later their bodies were burnt.
The chairperson of National Human Rights Commission, Mamata Sharma said welcomed the strong verdict and hoped that it will act as deterrent. However, she rued the 20-year delay in delivering justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH