19 more die in flood-hit parts of UP, death toll crosses 80
Lucknow: Flood situation remained grim in Uttar Pradesh where the toll rose to 82 on Wednesday with reports of 19 more deaths even as authorities feared outbreak of disease in the worst affected eastern parts of the state.
About 8.6 lakh people in 1,037 villages spread over several districts are reeling under the impact of floods caused by rivers crossing the danger mark at many places.
Six persons died in flood-related incidents in Balrampur district, four in Sitapur, three in Bahraich, two deaths each took place in Barabanki and Ballia districts, one each were reported from Gonda and Lakhimpur Khiri in the past 24 hours, official sources said.
According to a report from Relief Commissioner`s office, the worst affected districts were Bahraich, Shravasti, Balrampur, Gonda, Barabanki, Lakhimpur Khiri, Sitapur, Faizabad, Basti, Sant Kabir Nagar, Azamgarh, Muzaffarnagar and Siddharth Nagar.
Authorities feared outbreak of disease in these districts and geared up the machinery to tackle the post-flood situation.
In Bahraich district alone, over four lakh people in 227 villages were affected and relief and rescue work was being carried out by NDRF, PAC, SSB, police, revenue employees and voluntary organisations, a report from the district said.
District Magistrate Satyendra Singh said that with three more deaths, toll has gone up to 32 in the district.
He said financial assistance of Rs 1.5 lakh has been given to kin of the victims and two IAF helicopters were assisting in relief and rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city