20 dead as UP reels under cold wave, temp drops to
Lucknow: The intense cold wave conditions claimed 20 more lives in Uttar Pradesh with Muzaffarnagar recording the lowest temperature of minus 0.7 degree Celsius.
Six people lost their lives in Ghazipur, three each in Azamgarh and Barabanki, two each in Fatehpur, Sultanpur and Chandauli and one each in Jaunpur and Siddhartnagar. With this the death toll this winter has risen to 175.
Met office officials here said Muzaffarnagar was the coldest place in the state with minus 0.7 degree celsius which was seven degrees below normal.
Cold wave conditions prevailed over most parts of the state with maximum temperatures remaining below normal by seven to 15 notches.
Night temperatures fell markedly in Lucknow and Allahabad divisions.
Agra recorded .6 degree celsius, Najibabad (Bijnore) 1.S0, Lucknow and Aligarh 1.4 each and Kheri 1.6, the Met department said.
Ground frost would occur in some parts of the state during next two nights and dense fog would prevail over some parts of eastern UP during the next 24 hours, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use