2009 Noida gangrape case transferred to Delhi
New Delhi: The proceedings in a Noida
gangrape case of 2009 began Tuesday in a Delhi Court which directed the city police to ensure the safety and security of the victim`s close friend and key witness, pursuing the case.
The trial of the case had bneen shifted from a Noida court to one here in the national capital on the Supreme Court`s order after the victim`s friend Amit Pawar had approached it,
fearing threat to his life and facing pressure to withdraw the
A 24-year-old MBA student was gangraped by eleven youths
on January 5, 2009 when she was returning from the Great India
Place Mall in Noida with Pawar.
Pawar, who had filed the complaint with the Noida Police
had alleged the accused, who were returning home after a
cricket match, had forced him to stop his car by brandishing
cricket bats. After he stopped the car, they got in the car
and drove it around near urban Noida village Garhi Chaukhandi
and took turns to rape his friend.
The accused in the case are Pushpender, Srikant, Sanjay,
Gautam, Sudhir alias Tony, Little, Anil, Omkar and Pushpender,
Sashikant and Golu, all residents of Garhi Chaukhandi. All of
them are on bail.
When the case was today brought before District Judge
Sunita Gupta, it was assigned to the court of Additional
Sessions Judge Raj Kapoor, who fixed the matter for hearing on
The judge also directed police to ensure safety and
security of witness (Pawar) in the meantime considering that
the case is at the evidence stage and the complainant (Pawar)
is the main witness.
The ASJ passed the order on Pawar`s plea for protection
and has also asked the police to file a report by March 2.
Pawar had filed a plea for his protection saying the
accused persons are of criminal nature and he apprehends
threat to his life and limb from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note