215 villagers booked for attacking police, forest personnel
Bahraich (UP): An FIR has been lodged against 215 villagers for allegedly attacking police and forest personnel during an anti-encroachment drive here.
Fourteen of them have been arrested, police said.
"The FIR has been lodged against the villagers on the complaint of forest officials.
Fourteen have been arrested so far and search is on for the others," Additional Superintendent of Police, Vikas Kumar Vaidya said.
The incident took place last night when a team of forest and police officials reached the Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary in Sujauli area here after receiving information that illegal hutments had been erected on forest land.
Villagers attacked them as soon as the team members started removing the huts, injuring two security personnel, Vaidya said, adding that the accused also damaged six government vehicles in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray