215 villagers booked for attacking police, forest personnel
Bahraich (UP): An FIR has been lodged against 215 villagers for allegedly attacking police and forest personnel during an anti-encroachment drive here.
Fourteen of them have been arrested, police said.
"The FIR has been lodged against the villagers on the complaint of forest officials.
Fourteen have been arrested so far and search is on for the others," Additional Superintendent of Police, Vikas Kumar Vaidya said.
The incident took place last night when a team of forest and police officials reached the Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary in Sujauli area here after receiving information that illegal hutments had been erected on forest land.
Villagers attacked them as soon as the team members started removing the huts, injuring two security personnel, Vaidya said, adding that the accused also damaged six government vehicles in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway