250 held amid stray incidents in curfew-bound Bareilly, Aonla
Bareilly/Lucknow: Over 250 people have been arrested in connection with clashes in Bareilly and Aonla even as curfew remained in force in the two towns for the second day on Tuesday amid stray incidents of brick-batting.
"In Bareilly, 119 people were arrested as a preventive measure and 34 others were held in various crimes, while in Aonla 40 have been arrested in connection with clashes on Sunday and Monday," Inspector General of Police B P Singh told reporters in Lucknow.
He said teenager Farhan, who was admitted to hospital, died today. "However, it is not clear where he got injured. His family members raised suspicion on some persons, who have been detained and interrogated," Singh said.
He said so far five cases have been lodged in connection with the clashes and more FIRs were being lodged by public.
"As of now 10 policemen, including an SP, and 18 civilians were injured in the clashes," he said, adding the situation was peaceful and ADG Jagmohan Yadav was camping in Bareilly.
"Curfew has been lifted from outer areas of Bareilly, including Cantt and Subhash Nagar," he said adding 300 additional personnel of Provincial Armed Constabulary have been deployed.
In Bareilly IG Devendra Singh Chauhan said curfew was in force and security forces staged a flag march in the troubled areas today.
Farhan`s death sparked off tension in Subhash Nagar area where people blocked road.
Earlier in the day, ADG Yadav said a high-level inquiry would be conducted into the clashes. The ADG said a ban would be imposed on use of DJs and loud speakers in religious functions from now on.
One person was killed and several others were injured in Bareilly in a clash that spread to neighbouring Aonla after which curfew was imposed in both the places.
The injured were rushed to hospital, where one succumbed to gunshot injuries.
Curfew was imposed in six areas, including Qila, Kotwali, Bardari, Prem Nagar, Subhash Nagar and Aonla.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble