26 of 48 UP cabinet ministers have criminal past: Report
Lucknow: Akhilesh Yadav-led SP government, which came to power in Uttar Pradesh with a promise of providing an improved law and order, has 54 per cent of its ministers with criminal cases against them, a report has said.
The report, released on Sunday by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) after analysing election affidavits of the leaders, reveals that 26 of the 48 cabinet ministers have criminal cases against them.
Releasing the report here, ADR founder Trilochan Shastri and NEW state convener Sanjay Singh said nine ministers have declared serious charges like rape, murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping and dacoity against them.
Amroha MLA and Minister of State for Textiles Mehboob Ali has declared 15 cases against him, including that of attempt to murder, kidnapping and robbery, they said.
Similarly, Food and Civil Supplies Minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiyya has declared eight cases against himself, whereas Minister of State for Rural Development Arvind Singh Gope has declared three cases against him, Singh and Shastri said quoting the report.
Minister of State for Stamp Manoj Kumar Singh Paras had declared a rape charge in his affidavit submitted to the Election Commission at the time of nominations, they said.
Information provided in the election affidavits reveals that 38 of 48 ministers are crorepatis, the report reveals.
Agriculture Minister Kuwar Anand Singh, who is MLA from Nagina, has maximum assets of Rs 18.3 crore, followed by Transport Minister Raja Mahendra Aridaman Singh with assets worth Rs 14.79 crore, they said, quoting the report.
Chief Minister Akhilesh himself owns assets worth Rs 4.85 crore, whereas his uncle and PWD Minister Shivpal Singh has assets of more than Rs 6 crore, they said.
Panchayati Raj Minister Balram Yadav has minimum assets worth Rs 16.31 lakh, Singh and Shastri said, adding that as per the report, the average asset possessed by a minister stands at Rs 2.79 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption