30 held for duping people
Lucknow:The special task force (STF) has
arrested 30 persons, including 10 women, allegedly involved in duping people on the pretext of installing mobile towers in their houses.
Those arrested included mastermind Ashutosh Prasad Yadav and Arvind Kumar, who ran call centres in the state capital, STF officials said.
The arrests were made on complaints of victims, who included people from Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Punjab, Haryana besides Uttar Pradesh.
The arrests were made after raids at five call centres in Indira Nagar and Gomti Nagar localities, they said, adding that 150 mobiles, dozens of SIM cards, three computers and 23 ATM cards were recovered from them.
The STF claimed that the gang had minted crores of rupees by duping people after luring them to get mobile towers installed on their land and promised them heavy rentals.
The modus operandi of the gang was to publish advertisements in newspapers and then ask people to deposit Rs 3500 for soil testing, Rs 25,000 as registration amount and Rs 35,000 as tax money.
The STF is looking for members of the gang in other states too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!